School district superintendents from each public school district in Defiance County, along with the Defiance County Health Department, Northwest Ohio Educational Service Center, Independence Education Center and Good Samaritan School, came together to identify common practices for the 2021-2022 school year in Defiance County.
These general principles will guide each school district as they move forward with the 2021-2022 school year throughout Defiance County:
1. Each school district in Defiance County will implement recommended safety protocols to the highest degree possible.
3. Each school district will be transparent with all stakeholders that some level of risk will always be present when children and school district employees occupy school district facilities.
4. School districts recognize the need for consistency in areas of operations while recognizing that individual differences in classroom sizes, school facilities, and building operations may lead to some inconsistencies.
5. This plan is subject to change.
These principles will be common to all Defiance County public school districts:
• We will offer in-person instruction in accordance with our district calendars.
• There is no mask mandate in place at this time; we will leave the decision to parents based on personal preferences. If cases were to increase within a district, a mask mandate may be required.
• Also, COVID vaccinations of children ages 12 and over are at the discretion of parents. Please note that anyone who is fully vaccinated against COVID does NOT have to quarantine if they have been exposed to COVID unless they are symptomatic. Quarantine measures are still in place for those that are unmasked, unvaccinated, and within six feet for 15 or more cumulative minutes of someone with COVID.
Under current federal orders and accompanying guidance, students and staff are required to wear masks on school transportation, whether vaccinated or not, until Sept. 13. At that time the order may end or possibly be extended.