On April 9, 2013, the State Board of Education approved Ohio rule 3301-35-15, standards for the implementation of positive behavior intervention supports (PBIS) and the use of restraint and seclusion. The rule was revised and re-approved June 24, 2021.
The purpose of the rule is to ensure Ohio school districts establish consistent policies and procedures for the use of PBIS and emergency restraint and seclusion. The intent is to create safe environments for students and staff and reduce the need for emergency physical restraint and seclusion through behavior supports and training.
- Model PBIS and Restraint and Seclusion Policy
- What Parents Need to Know about PBIS and Restraint and Seclusion
- PBIS and Restraint and Seclusion FAQ for Districts
- Video Modules: Restraint and Seclusion in Ohio Schools – Four video modules that explain the restraint and seclusion portion of the rule.
Restraint and Seclusion Data Collection Survey
The rule requires public school districts to annually report information regarding the use of positive behavior intervention and supports and restraint and seclusion to the Department of Education.
To ensure reporting accuracy across the state, reporting instructions and resources are provided below. Please review the guidelines and sample forms for further clarification regarding restraint and seclusion documentation and reporting.
- Who is Responsible for Reporting Restraint and Seclusion Data
- Restraint and Seclusion Definitions
- PBIS & Restraint and Seclusion Incident Reporting PowerPoint
- Worksheet for Data Collection – Restraints – Building Level
- Worksheet for Data Collection – Restraints – Disability Type
- Worksheet for Data Collection – Seclusions – Building Level
- Worksheet for Data Collection – Seclusions – Disability Type
- PBIS Report Card Measure
Resources for the Emergency Use of Restraint and Seclusion
- Model Debriefing Form (Updated July 2021)
- Crisis Prevention and De-escalation Training Requirements and Guidelines
A restraint and seclusion complaint is a formal request from a parent to the Ohio Department of Education to investigate potential violations of requirements of the rule regarding restraint and seclusion of a student. Complaints apply to students in general and special education. Parents can file a complaint regarding incidents of restraint and seclusion that occurred after the effective date of June 24, 2021. Alleged violations must be within one year of the date the complaint is filed. Additional information on the complaint process can be found below.
- Restraint and Seclusion Complaint Information: Frequently Asked Questions
- Restraint and Seclusion Complaint Form
- Restraint and Seclusion Complaint Procedures
- Ohio Department of Education: PBIS Webpage
- Ohio Department of Education: Whole Child Framework
- Ohio Department of Education: Trauma Informed Schools Webpage
- OCALI Challenging Behavior: Expect Success Web Series
- U.S. Department of Education: Restraint and Seclusion Resource Document
- Office of Civil Rights: Discipline, Restraint and Seclusion
- Technical Assistance Center on PBIS: Using a Tiered Framework to Prevent Restraint and Seclusion